(This is the first Stumbling into Publishing post.)
A while back I started an experiment where I self-published a series of sword and sorcery novellas.
I’m ready to declare the experiment a failure for a variety of reasons.
The biggest reason isn’t that I didn’t get any readers (although they were very few and far between) but that I’m dissatisfied with the product. When I started I had what I thought were six decent novellas. But, the more I’ve looked at them the more obvious their major flaws and deficiencies become.
My plan for 2014 is to spend the year rewriting the novellas as a single story, fix everything about the setting, characterisation, and plot that isn’t working for me (which is a lot), and then figure out what to do with it once that’s done.
But, for those few of you who have been following the series, below are the final two stories in the series as originally planned, in EPUB and in MOBI.
I’ll be taking down the first four ebooks from sale and the web over the next couple of weeks. And I’m also going to write a few blog posts discussing why I consider the experiment a failure, all the things I did wrong, and all that went wrong.